Admission FAQS

Text Area
  1. What is the study mode of the program?Msc (Econ) is a full-time program and students are expected to complete the program in one year.
  2. Can I complete the program on a part-time basis?There is no option for completing the program on a part-time basis.
  3. Can I apply for the program if I have not taken TOEFL/IELTS English Test?It is compulsory for applicants whose first language is not English and whose degree or equivalent qualification was awarded by an institution where the medium of instruction was not English to meet the university English requirements. 
  4. I have just taken the TOEFL/IELTS Test and the result will be released after the application deadline. Will my application still be considered?Applicants are expected to meet the University English Requirements on or before the application deadline. A good planning can certainly help you catching up the schedule. Since the admission committee can only review applications pending for results of the above tests preliminary, applicants are strongly advised to schedule their tests as early as possible.
  5. Do I need to take GMAT/ GRE?While GMAT/GRE is not a compulsory admission requirements, applicants are strongly advised to include the result(s) in the application.
  6. Is there a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) for admission to the program?Due to the range of systems being used by various universities, there is not a specific requirement of the Grade Point Average (GPA). Instead, we expect students to have a strong mathematical background on top of an interest in economics.
  7. I am an applicant with a few years of working experience after graduation. Can I still apply?Though most of our students are fresh graduates, we do welcome applicants with working experience to apply. Meanwhile, students should consider giving up the full-time employment during the study period as the study load of the program is quite heavy and most of the classes are held during daytime.
  8. Will there be any accommodation arrangement for offered applicants?Due to limited accommodation places available in the University, students will have to arrange their own accommodation throughout the entire study period. General assistance will be provided by the Student Housing and Residential Life Office of the university in accommodation searching. More information can be found at
  9. I am a non-local student. Can I work part-time while I am registered with the program?In accordance with the Hong Kong Immigration Regulations, non-local students can only take up part-time on-campus employment. The University recommends that the maximum number of hours for not more than 10 hours per week throughout the year. Nonetheless, since the study load of MSc (ECON) is quite heavy, students are advised to focus on their study. For more detail, on Hong Kong Immigration Regulations, please direct your enquiry to the Immigration Department and refer to their website (
  10. I am a non-local student. Can I stay in Hong Kong to find job after graduation?Non-local students may apply stay in Hong Kong via the Immigration Arrangement for Non-local Graduates (IANG). They may be granted 24 months' stay on time limitation without other conditions of stay provided that normal immigration requirements are met. More details on the arrangement can be found at